Now that summer is here, I hope you are growing some basil. It is one of my favorite herbs to grow and use. However, I tend to plant a lot of it and then have too much, which is when I make some pesto. Pesto is incredibly easy to make, and it tastes 800 times better than the store-bought stuff. It requires a few simple ingredients, and you can put it in pasta, on pizza, mix it in with some tuna (more on that later), put it on your eggs...the possibilities are endless!

I've never done this because I don't have ice cube trays, but you can pour the pesto into the trays and freeze. When frozen, pop them out and place them in a freezer bag. Just use one of two of them when needed. Great idea!

I know that toasting the nuts and garlic adds to the work, but toasted nuts really brings out the flavor, and toasting the garlic will get rid of the harsh flavor. I definitely recommend you don't skip those steps!

Homemade Pesto Recipe
Print this recipe

3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 cups packed basil leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and toast the pine nuts in a single layer for 5-10 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.

Heat a small skillet on medium heat and toast the garlic in the peels for about 7 minutes until fragrant and spotty brown, flipping the garlic often. Let cool before peeling.

Peel the garlic cloves, add all the other ingredients to a blender or food processor and mix all the ingredients together till smooth. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.

Source: Cook's Illustrated

Comments

05/31/2012 9:16am

Looks good. Going to try this soon.

05/31/2012 9:41am

You had me at the word "pesto". I have been wanting to try to make my own for a while, I'm so glad I stopped by here! I'll be sure to add your space to my "foody" blogroll, so that I can stop back often! Thanks for friending me on TK!

05/31/2012 9:54am

I love pesto! This looks great!

05/31/2012 10:07am

I have yet to make my own pesto but I know I need to get on that, because this looks too tasty to pass up!

05/31/2012 11:50am

I was growing some basil, and I even named him Mr. Basiloni, but he recently died. I'm a bad parent. But I think I should try again so I can make this pesto any time I'm craving it! Or I'll just buy it from Trader Joe's and freeze it and save a plant :)

05/31/2012 6:39pm

i LOVE pesto. what a great recipe! i don't know many people that can make something as ugly as pesto look so delicious

06/01/2012 10:31am

I'm SO totally going to surprise my husband with this. He LIVES on pesto! Never made it for him.

I've surfed on from Tasty Kitchen and sure glad I did!!! Totally going to try this.

Patty from www.fanta4two.com

06/13/2012 3:30pm

this looks so delicious! i make my own pesto too (i agree-tastes so much better than store-bought), but i normally use walnuts. I finally caved and decided to get a big bag of pine nuts the other day, so i'm going to be making this very soon. thanks for sharing!

Debbie
08/18/2013 8:16pm

Making this tomorrow. This is the BEST recipe I found for using my freshly harvested basil!

08/21/2013 6:26am

I love pesto a lot. It is just amazing. I was searching for its recipe for some time and finally got it here. Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe. The first thing I am going to do after this is to make some pesto. Hope it will be good.