My husband's favorite cookies are chocolate chip, but he's strange in that he'll eat a couple and be done until I make them again. This kills me. I wish I had that kind of will power/craving control. If there are cookies (or any dessert) out, I'll eat them until they're gone! Clearly we see who gains the weight in our family. Usually when I make chocolate chip cookies, I'll bake half or more of the dough and then keep the rest in the fridge as I much prefer the cookie dough. I love things that have cookie dough in them. My favorite kind of cheesecake is chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake. And my new favorite kind of ice cream is this one. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

I know that it looks like vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips, but it's not. It's a brown sugar ice cream with mini chocolate chips that also has egg-free chocolate chip cookie dough in it. Oh man. I never buy chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in the store because, to be frank, it sucks. Boring vanilla ice cream (and I actually like vanilla ice cream) with a few pieces of cookie dough here and there. This is so much better. The ice cream is smooth and creamy, and you can control how much cookie dough you put in it. Are you surprised that I loaded it in? Therefore, you get the taste of the cookie dough and brown sugar flavor in every bite. I think this would be awesome if you put some hot fudge or chocolate sauce in the ice cream machine while it was churning, too. I didn't have any, but I'll definitely be sure to add some in next time. With the unofficial start of summer this weekend, I definitely suggest you dust off your ice cream machine and make this!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Recipe

2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips

To make the filling, stir together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the flour and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and place in the refrigerator until cold.

To make the ice cream, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Pour in the cream slowly, whisking constantly, and cook until it starts simmering. While that mixture is coming up to a simmer, whisk your egg yolks until light and fluffy. Once the cream mixture is simmering, temper your yolks by very slowly adding a little bit of the hot mixture into your eggs while whisking. Once you have added about 2 cups of the hot mixture to your eggs, pour the egg mixture back into the pot while whisking. Cook this over medium heat until it has thickened slightly and can coat the back of a spoon (170-175 degrees).

Freeze this mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. In the last few minutes of churning, add in the mini chocolate chips. Take your chilled cookie dough out of the fridge and scoop out pieces of it. When your ice cream is done churning, pour it into a bowl, adding the chocolate chip cookie dough pieces throughout. Freeze until hardened.

Source: Barely adapted from Sunny Side Up in San Diego, who got it from many others.
You may also like:

Comments

05/23/2012 7:12am

My kids FAVORITE!
Great post :)

05/23/2012 2:47pm

This sounds so much better than store bought cookie dough ice cream! Love the brown sugar base!

05/23/2012 3:44pm

That brown sugar bas sounds to die for! And since I just invested in an ice cream maker, I will be making this very, very soon!

05/23/2012 4:23pm

My favorite ice cream!! YUM!

This looks to die for! I am legit drooling right now. You're right, this sounds way better than store-bought. I love the brown sugar flavored ice cream!

05/24/2012 2:58am

This is great for holidays. The flavors were a perfect mix. This cookie made my familys face light up. My son really loves it. This is a recipe i'll always remember!

05/24/2012 7:32am

Cookie Dough is pretty much the greatest thing ever. And this ice cream looks SO. GOOD!

05/24/2012 1:56pm

I would not be able to resist the charms of this ice cream! Gorgeous!

05/25/2012 6:09am

My husband is the same way with treats. It kills me. When I make cookie dough I only bake off 12 and then make dough balls with the remaining dough and freeze them in a freezer bag. They last for about a month and you can pop out single servings whenever you want. But who wants cookies right now when you can have a bowl full of this ice cream.

05/25/2012 10:32am

Man this looks good!!! I love cookie dough ice cream!

05/25/2012 5:05pm

This looks amazing! Cookie dough is my favorite and just like you, I will eat anything sweet until its gone! I'd kill for your husbands self control! lol I wish I had an ice cream maker. Looks like I may have to invest in one just for this!

05/25/2012 10:30pm

Yum! Love cookie dough ice cream...can't wait to try it!

06/15/2012 4:14pm

Chocolate chip cookie dough has got to be one of my all time favorites. This is definitely a winner.

06/27/2012 3:16am

Always couldn't resist the temptation of chocolate ice cream, although there is a risk of weight gain.

Tess
09/13/2012 7:54am

I had trouble with this part: Cook this over medium heat until it has thickened slightly and can coat the back of a spoon (170-175 degrees).

Remove from the heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl that is sitting in an ice bath. Add in the vanilla, salt, and milk and stir. Once the bowl has cooled, cover with plastic wrap and place in the coldest part of your refrigerator until well chilled. I think when it went through the mesh i lost a lot of the hot mixture, it was kinda watery. I am still working on it, hope it works! :):):)

You should also add the materials we will need :):) just a suggestion

She Makes and Bakes
09/13/2012 8:10am

Hi Tess. The purpose of pouring it through the fine mesh strainer is to catch any cooked eggs. You definitely don't want those in your ice cream. So all of the mixture should go through the strainer into your bowl that is sitting in an ice bath. You will probably have just a few pieces of cooked eggs remaining in the strainer with all the good stuff in the bowl.